Last weekend, my world on social media blew up with a ton of conversation between dietitians about the terms “diet” and “anti-diet” and which nutrition philosophy is “right”.
Questions were asked by many dietitians including:
- “How do we really define the word “diet”? Is it always about wanting to lose weight?”
- “What if someone needs to eat a certain way for an allergy? Health condition? Preference? They have a diet”
- And perhaps my favorite question… “Why can’t we all just eat how we want to eat? Aren’t there plenty of dietitians out there for different people with different needs?”
I personally thought about this topic and came away with the idea that I need to explain my own nutrition philosophy as a dietitian better and more often. I need to make sure that people know what I’m all about and how I help the clients and professionals that I want to reach.
At Eat With Knowledge, you will find compassionate dietitians who have heard it all when it comes to food.
- We help you transform your relationship with food so you can go out and LIVE YOUR LIFE.
- We recognize that food should be just one important part of your life and we want to make sure that you feel as comfortable as possible with your own personal eating style and your own food philosophy.So when things come your way, you feel confident in the decisions that you make for yourself and your food. If what you’re doing right now is working for you- that is awesome. Keep doing it. But if you are eating in a way that feels “off” or want to feel better and make changes to your eating, we are here to help you change your thoughts, behaviors, and feelings when it comes to food. Our counseling style is rooted in flexibility, adaptability, and is inclusive.
- We believe that nutrition is personal for every individual. Every client will have a different story to tell with regards to their health, food, movement, and well-being.We promise to listen to you and your story with no judgement or assumptions and will support you along your journey to better health and well-being, whatever that means for you. We respect all bodies and all shapes and sizes deserve respectful care.
- We believe in the power of intuitive eating, eating disorder recovery, the Health at Every Size principles, and simply the knowledge that you have about your own body to KNOW what works for you.
- We are dedicated to learning more skills, tools, and resources to give to you and guide you to a better relationship with food.
There have been debates on whether or not you can be anti-diet if you chose to eat a certain way or chose not to eat a certain food.
In my opinion, giving yourself permission to eat all the food doesn’t mean you have to. If there are foods you don’t like, you don’t have to eat them! You don’t have to eat dessert “just because you can” and you don’t have to eat a salad for lunch because everyone else is doing it.
You also have every right to eliminate a food if you don’t like it and have every right to eat a food if that’s what works for you. You have the power to make decisions that work for you. To me, this is intuitive eating because you are learning what works best for you.
There has never been a better time to be a client working with a dietitian!!
With so many specialties out there ranging from eating disorders, child feeding, diabetes, functional medicine, sports nutrition, and more, the right dietitian is out there for you. And if Eat With Knowledge isn’t for you, chances are we know someone who is.
So if you’re’ struggling and need a dietitian, book an inquiry call with me so we can talk about your specific needs and determine if we can help. If we aren’t the best match for you, chances are we know another specialist who might be the best fit for you. Just like our own bodies, no two dietitians are exactly the same.
Jennifer is a Registered Dietitian and the owner of Eat With Knowledge in Nyack, NY. She is on a mission to help people heal from diets, and find peace and balance with their food choices. She leads a team of dietitians who support the philosophy, “Feel Fabulous about Food!”
If you are looking for support to heal your relationship with food, check out our Nutrition Counseling page here. If you are unable to become a client but would still like to learn from us, you can purchase our Eat With Knowledge Roadmap here!