Nutrition Counseling at Eat With Knowledge
Would you benefit from working with a dietitian?
The dietitians at Eat With Knowledge Nutrition PLLC are here to help you create a peaceful relationship with food and your body.
We see clients who are experiencing any of the following:
- You’ve been diagnosed with an eating disorder or think you have anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, orthorexia, ARFID (avoidant restrictive food intake disorder), or rumination disorder.
- You may not be sure if you have an actual eating disorder but you know you have some troubling habits around food, exercise, or body image.
- You think about food “too much” during the day.
- Your relationship with food is all-or-nothing, meaning you’re either “on” or “off” with your eating plan.
- Your weight, shape, size and/or body image impact your day to day life.
- You over-exercise, especially around times when you feel you have eaten too much or ate something that wasn’t what you planned to eat.
- You’ve used diet pills, thrown up, or used laxatives or diuretics after eating.
- You’re a chronic dieter and are tired of the mixed messages surrounding food and nutrition.
- You think you should “be on a diet” and have bad body image but know deep down diets don’t work.
- You just have no idea how to eat.
- You're in recovery from an eating disorder and want to make sure you get the support you need.
If you answered “yes!” to any of these questions, then you would benefit from the help of a nutrition professional.
how we help:
- We work with you to develop and meet your goals.
- We provide assistance in planning meals and snacks to decrease your stress.
- We teach you how your body works and increase your knowledge of metabolism.
- We teach you about your hunger and satiety cues and what they really mean (if you don’t have hunger and fullness we teach you how to get it back!).
- We provide nutrition education once we figure out together what you want to work on.
- We help you understand eating disorder thoughts and behaviors.
- We create a safe space to discuss anything related to food, weight, or body.
- We talk about body image and what that means to you.
- We talk about food and feelings and how to understand emotional eating.
- We help you to begin developing respect for and kindness towards your body.
- We coordinate and collaborate with all members of your team (if applicable).
- We encourage you to view nutrition as one part of your wellness and help you create priorities towards your overall well being.
all about nutrition counseling
Individual nutrition counseling is for clients who need one-on-one support to reach their nutrition goals. Sessions are always personalized for your situation. When appropriate, we may have a separate “parent” session for anyone with a child in eating disorder treatment, and we may also have family sessions.
We start with an initial nutrition assessment session, where one of our Eat With Knowledge dietitians will learn about you as a person and about your nutrition goals and expectations. We talk about everything related to nutrition and body image, including your overall medical history (e.g., mental and physical health), favorite foods, typical meals and snacks, cooking abilities, grocery shopping, exercise habits, plus your thoughts and feelings about your current food choices and lifestyle habits.
We provide counseling and tools for new ways of thinking about and changing behaviors in areas you want to work on. We also talk a lot about dieting, body image, “good vs bad” foods, weight concerns, and nutrition/health “expectations” in today’s world.
A lot of the work we do will include getting to know you as a human being. Knowing about your personality is a crucial part of the nutrition counseling process. The more we can hear from you, the better we can help.
If you want to go further, we'll provide you with educational handouts, resources, and other materials to help learn more about various topics.
Where do we see clients? We're a completely virtual private practice, which means we can see clients in MANY STATES! Due to licensure laws, we’re only able to see clients in the following states: New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Arizona, Connecticut, Utah, Wisconsin, Colorado, and California. If you live in another state and would like to purchase our most popular handouts, check out the Eat With Knowledge Roadmap to Feel Fabulous About Food. When you schedule your appointment, you'll be emailed forms for the appointment as well as a link to click when it's time for your appointment. All of our sessions are done via telehealth over the Zoom platform.
We typically see clients every week when we’re actively working together. We work with clients in both short-term and long-term capacities and many clients in recovery choose to see us for a while, but less frequently.
We always suggest a session to end treatment (not just a phone call or email), because we believe having an effective relapse prevention plan in place is vital to your success and we like to take an entire session to outline exactly what you’ll need going forward.
Due to licensure laws, we’re only able to see clients in the following states: New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Arizona, Connecticut, Utah, Wisconsin, Colorado, and California.
No Surprises Act: A new law was passed that requires out-of-network providers to estimate direct costs. If you would like an individualized "good faith estimate" of treatment for the next year, please contact us and we will answer your questions to the best of our ability.
a special note for parents:
Eat With Knowledge is so excited to announce that we have a brand new free resource for any parent/family in our practice.
Over the past decade, we've worked with hundreds of families. It's been an honor to help so many families navigate eating disorder treatment and recovery.
While we recognize the need for education and support, sometimes it's hard to get everything in our scheduled sessions. 45 minutes once a week goes by fast when we have so much to focus on!
Earlier this year, all of the Eat With Knowledge dietitians got together to brainstorm what we could offer as "supplemental support" for parents and families. We are excited to announce that we created a workshop for parents called "Working Together As A Team".
The workshop consists of 6 short videos of supplemental education for parents and families. The 6 videos talk about the following topics:
- Eating Disorders Overview
- Developmental Stages in Eating Disorders
- Treatment for Eating Disorders
- The Dietitian Role in Eating Disorders Treatment
- Meal Support
- Higher Level of Care Guidelines
This resource is FREE and available for any client's family in our practice.
Nutrition Counseling 2022 Fees:
Initial session fee: $280
Follow-up session fee: $180 for 45 minutes
Please note our fees do change every January.
January 2023 Fees will be: Initial session fee: $285 Follow-up session fee: $185 for 45 minutes
We recommend weekly nutrition counseling sessions for the majority of our clients.